Saturday, November 15, 2008

So yesterday our doctor called and confirmed what we pretty much considered the obvious--that Ryan is in fact allergic to peanuts. A number of people have commented that a peanut allergy is a horrible thing to live with and while I know it will be difficult, especially until Ryan is old enough to understand, it really could be much worse. We have a number of friends whose kids have really serious ongoing conditions and illnesses, so really, I count ourselves lucky.

Anyway, the one thing I thought was interesting is that while he is allergic to peanuts, he is not allergic to any other nut. Almonds, cashews, walnuts--those are all fine. So that's a good thing.

I do have to mention the ironic part of this. Over time I have read articles in various places about kids with peanut allergies and I always thought that the moms were a little out of control and overprotective. Well, now I guess I will be joining the ranks of the out of control and overprotective. That's what I get for being judgemental...

3 comments:

Ana said...

6 more days lady...I keep checkin' in... :)

Ana

LemurQueen said...

Well the good news is, Ryan can still have yummy cashew nut butter and jelly sammies! MMMM..I know you and Bryan will do just fine in monitoring this icky allergy...Ryan will be fine 'cause he has super parents!

Unknown said...

ah man! I guess if you look on the bright side, it is not wheat. :)