Thursday, January 14, 2010

New Year, New Me

If you know me at all, you know I love being a Mom. However, my love of motherhood does not preclude my frustration with the lack of structure that happens when you have two kids two and under. I have always done well with a system--schedules and deadlines and lists. So since I've become a stay-at-home mom, I've struggled, to say the least. I am often "busy" all day, yet somehow at the end of the day I feel like the house is a wreck, I haven't gotten any real exercise or spent any quality time with my kids. It doesn't seem like I should have these problems without a job to worry about, but yet, here I am.

So this year I decided to at least attempt to do something about it. I came up with a general schedule for each day that allows time for me to go to the gym (which, by the way, the kids love), time to just play with the kids, and time for housework. I also came up with a list of things I want to accomplish in terms of housework every day. This way, once those things are done, I don't have to feel guilty about sitting down and reading the kids a book, or heaven forbid, reading a book myself. I have come to accept the fact that I will probably not ever have my entire house completely spotless at the same time (at least until my kids are in school or I get a housekeeper again, the latter of which is not likely), and I am OK with that.

This chapter of my life, with little ones home, is already going by far too quickly for me. I don't want to look back later and feel like I didn't fully take advantage of the blessing it is to be able to spend every day with my kids. So we'll see how this new system works. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Greta said...

I would love to see your schedule. Share Share Share.

Meg said...

I started something similar around my second trimester. I do have to say it have helped so much! Now that i have my body back I am back on track with my schedule. Just don't get down when you spend that little bit of extra time with your kids and you still have 3 loads of laundry and the dishes aren't done. You are a great mom and good luck with the life organization. I just hope i can schedule in time to work out and get my body back. Ha!

Lemon Family said...

I know how you feel. There are days Travis comes home and asks how the day was and I think, I didn't accomplish anything. But then you see the cute kids or hear them laughing and just hope tomorrow you feel better about the day. I'd love to hear how the schedule works out.

The Woolner Family said...

Keep us updated. I may want to see your system. I feel the same way. It's constant go go go and I feel like I hardly accomplish a thing.

Cassi said...

I'm right up there with you and everyone else. I've thought about coming up with a system, but you've gone a step further than me and actually decided on something. Let me know how it goes.