Monday, September 09, 2013

Why the size on the tag brought tears to my eyes...

Yesterday was a pretty average Sunday at our house. We were getting ready for church and as my husband was helping Ryan get dressed, he suddenly announced, "This shirt doesn't even fit him!" And he was right. It didn't. After Ryan was back downstairs, Bryan asked me, "How did this happen? Remember when they were that little," and pointed to a picture of Ryan and Annie when they were 4 and 2 1/2 respectively. For some reason at that moment, it really hit me. My kids are growing up so fast. My baby isn't really a baby anymore. Ryan is 1/3 of the way to adulthood.

For me it was an eye opening moment. Not that I don't think that they're growing up too quickly on a regular basis, but it was like being hit over the head. As a mom I worry so much--am I teaching them the right things, am I helping them develop a testimony of their savior Jesus Christ, am I helping them understand the importance of kindness and honesty and work and family...the list could go on forever.

The one thing I am confident in is that my children know how much we love them. I tell them that every single day, often multiple times a day. I want them to have no doubts that regardless of the things they do and the decisions they make, their dad and I love them unconditionally. Yes, sometimes we might be disappointed. But it doesn't change our love for them. And it never will.

I will keep doing my very best on all of the other stuff. But in the interim, I will hope that my love is enough.

No comments: