Sunday, August 31, 2008

Not an Ideal Destination for the Holiday Weekend


While it's actually a pretty cool looking building, this photo is of Mercy Gilbert Medical Center, where I got to spend Saturday night and most of Sunday.

On Thursday Bryan and Ryan both came down with a pretty nasty bought of the stomach flu. On Friday night I figured I'd gotten lucky and it has passed me over. However Saturday morning I woke up early--and sick. Initially I thought it was just one of my twice-weekly or so episodes of morning sickness, but by 3:00 that afternoon when I was still vomiting Bryan decided I should probably go to Urgent Care and get some fluids and a shot. I went in and after 5 (yes FIVE) unsuccessful attempts to get a line in for an IV, the guy gave me a shot of phenergan to stop the vomiting and told me to go home and hydrate myself with oral fluids. That sounded fine to me--I've had a couple shots of phenergan during this pregnancy and it had always worked.

Anyway, about 2 hours after I got home I woke up from a nap and was sick again. I called my OB and she told me to go to the OB triage at the hospital so they could get me taken care of. They gave me a liter of fluids with Zofran (another medication that is supposed to stop nausea/vomiting) and I was feeling a lot better...until I sat up. As soon as I did that, I was sick once again, so my doctor decided I should stay overnight.

In actuality, it wasn't all that bad. The hospital is really nice, it's about 3 miles from my house, they have amazing nurses, and all of the OB rooms are private. I got lots of rest and had the comfort of them regularly monitoring the baby, who tolerated everything amazingly well.

I'm still really, really tired, but much better than I was. I'm so glad that I have such a great husband who is completely involved in every aspect of Ryan's life so when I had to be gone for a day, I didn't have to worry about them one little bit.

Can I just tell you that I am so counting down the days until the end of this pregnancy?

4 comments:

Ana said...

Cori, Cori - this is a pregnancy for the books! Not that Annie is to blame for the stomach flu, but I think it's a sign of things to come...little Annie is a little Ben! YEAH! :)

Lemon Family said...

So sorry your sick. Having the flu and being big pregnant is the WORST! I'm glad you are feeling better though.

'Chelle said...

Just think, less than 2 more months... and I put in an order for an 8 month baby... Still safe for a baby... and a happier mom that's no longer sick...

Love u tons,
Mommy

Unknown said...

I'm here! i am catching up! So glad yopu are ok. You look fantastic girlie!