Friday, October 24, 2008

So Grateful...

Earlier this month, a hurricane slammed into Baja, Mexico destroying more than 600 homes and leaving hundreds of families with literally nothing but the clothes on their backs.

The Mexican government went in and provided water, rice and beans, but these people had no pots to cook in, and nothing to eat with or out of. There is a lady in our ward who is originally from there and still has family there, so our ward took it upon itself to help provide humanitarian relief to the people in the area.

We all got an email asking us to gather items that these people needed--blankets, tennis shoes, jackets and household items--and a man from our ward would fly everything down in his plane. I took about 20 minutes to go through our house and gather items and in that period of time I was able to collect three garbage bags full of stuff.

Afterwards it really struck me that we have SO much. The things I put in those bags we wont even miss. We have closets full of clothes and blankets, cupboards full of cookware and dishes, and so much more.

Lately I have been lamenting over projects I really want to get done in my house and I have been frustrated that we are at a point where the parts of my house that people see need to be practical rather than pretty. Our living room has a whole section filled with Ryan's toys, his car and his books. Our family room has a baby swing and a rocking chair that I would rather have somewhere else. My front room still has no curtains after almost 4 years because I just can't decide what colors I want in there.

However, as I thought about these people who have literally nothing, I realized I just need to be grateful for all that I DO have. My friends don't care that I don't have curtains and that the corners of my rooms are filled with toys. My son is happy because he doesn't have to be confined to some little corner of the house to play. And really, I am grateful to have a beautiful home where my family can be together, where we don't have to worry about an exorbitant mortgage like so many people we know, and where there is peace and happiness and laughter.

Could I really ask for more??

5 comments:

Ana said...

Oh so so true Cori. I've only recently learned that gratitude is oh so important.

I love the music...between looking at baby Ryan and now listening to Bleeding Love over and over again, I'm never leaving your blog. :)

Unknown said...

You hit the nail on the head. We've talked about this before, but so many people spend their time chasing bigger and better when modest is comfortable.

Those that matter won't notice and those that notice, don't matter. :)

Miss you! We have a busy weekend but I will try to get you on Monday.

Lemon Family said...

Totally agree Cori. I think we all have those moments that just strike us to remember how much we do have!

Candy said...

Yep, agree completely. Every time Tiffany starts complaining about certain things I just remind her about the children who have nothing and would love to have just a few of the things she does.
It really brings things into prospective doesn't it?

Unknown said...

You are right on sister! The sooner this lesson learned in life, I think the more joy we can harvest. Though we all so have moments of overload, LOL! Sorry to hear it is still hot, it is here too. Yuck! I would like to just wear pants at least, sheesh!