Thursday, January 06, 2011

2010 in Review

I'm not one for doing Christmas letters, but I have been thinking a lot about the past year--it was a good one! We took some fun family trips, got Ryan potty trained (YAY!), Annie outgrew her milk and egg allergies and clawed her way back onto the growth chart and into the normal range, Ryan started preschool and Bryan had an extremely successful year business-wise, even with the economy on the skids.


As for me, I started doing two things I never though I could--running and quilting. As much as I have tried, I cannot love running, but I can now run 5 miles without any problem. For me that is HUGE. Running has always been my personal holy grail, and mentally it's been a really good thing.

Quilting kind of came out of nowhere. In February I decided to make a little patchwork blanket for a cousin who was having a baby. I got the top done then had no idea how to finish it. My friend Rachel (a.k.a. quilter extraordinaire) helped me get it tied and bound and gave me a few words of encouragement--"you can totally do this." I believed her, went out and bought a book of quilt patterns for beginners, and therein began something beautiful. I have never before had a real hobby, but I really, really love quilting. For a former career woman who sometimes feels like my daily accomplishments are less than significant, being able to make something beautiful is very affirming.

Here are a few of the fun things I've made this year:

1 comment:

Ana said...

You are one talented lady...it's been a great year for the Colby's and there isn't a more deserving or giving family. XOXO