Thursday, March 22, 2007

Childbirth vs. the Dentist

Many of you know I have an extreme fear of childbirth. Not the usual, “man, that’s really gonna hurt” kind of fear, but rather the “if I think or talk about it too much I will cry” kind of fear. Not a good thing considering my current condition.

I have also always hated going to the dentist. A combination of many bad dental experiences, the whirr of the drill, the pain at the injection sites of the numerous Novocain injections once said Novocain wears off…you get the idea.

Well today I had one of those lovely trips to the dentist. The dentist was really good, and a super nice guy. I had to have 4 fillings replaced. He knew that I don’t numb well so we started with 5 separate Novocain shots which we both thought would do the trick. It did, until he hit a nerve. Fun stuff. I got another shot and we ended up leaving a part of one of the old fillings in. Of course this was all after my heart was racing so badly following the initial shots that he left me to just relax for a few minutes after he took my pulse.

All of this leads me to wonder, which will be worse—childbirth or the dentist? I remember when I was about 10 or so, my mom had this horrible infection from a tooth and she had to get all of this work done and said it was definitely worse than childbirth.

So all of this gives me hope that I’ll make it through just fine. And you know, they don’t give you a cute little baby boy to take home after you go to the dentist…

No comments: